Walk as if you are kissing the Earth with your feet.
– Thich Nhat Hanh
April is Genocide Awareness and Prevention Month. It is also the month that contains Earth Day. Last April, as many of you know, we hosted a six event commemorative film series noting each of the genocides with dates of remembrance in April. This year, let’s greatly expand the focus of what we need to be addressing as ‘prevention’ by recognizing the role of climate change and make use of the timing of Earth Day to do it. Addressing the current climate crisis is a daunting challenge, and on our current path, likely to greatly detract from global health, increase conflict, and limit access to life-sustaining resources. It is easy to feel overwhelmed by it and just shut down. Sometimes we need to take a step back, take a breath, re-group and allow a different, more helpful perspective to emerge spontaneously and from the heart.
On Sunday, April 19 Orange County for Climate Action will host Enjoy and Celebrate EARTH on this DAY. The intention is to come together for reconnection to ourselves, each other and this earth. We want to support a sense of community with time spent in environments conducive to calm, creative conversations. We will have an entire day full of opportunities to be together for inspiration, reflection, and to have some fun :)
- We will start the day with a leisurely hike surrounded by the natural beauty of Aliso and Wood Canyons Wilderness Park.
- Lunch at the nearby Native Foods, a completely vegan restaurant with a wide variety of healthy, tasty selections will be our next stop.
- In the afternoon we will gather at the Baha’i Center for a screening of the ultra-critically-important-everyone-needs-to-see-it-documentary-that-reveals-animal-agriculture-as-worst-climate-culprit, Cowspiracy.
- Next, a vegan snack or early dinner at Mother’s Market.
- Then we will end the day at Inspiration Point in Corona del Mar for a group session of Tension and Trauma Releasing Exercises (TRE) on the grass to help us re-establish a calmer state of mind and body. (What is TRE?) We will also have time for a walk along the beach to enjoy its beauty before ending the day by being together to watch the sunset.
- The entire day is free to attend, except meals are ‘on your own’. You can participate in one, some or all of the events.
- We need your RSVP for planning purposes.
BTW: Did you see Gene Baur of Farm Sanctuary with Jon Stewart talking about veganism on The Daily Show? Watch it here.
Barbara English, LMFT
Founder and Executive Director, Living Ubuntu
[Ubuntu] n. Every human being truly becomes a human by means of relationships with other human beings.
::: UPCOMING EVENTS :::
Living Ubuntu planning meeting – tonight!
Tuesday April 7, 6:30p-8p
Patty’s office: 2424 SE Bristol Street, Suite 300, Newport Beach, CA 92660
If you arrive late, the door will be locked. To be let in, call Patty’s cell: (949) 246-2969
Call in option: (951) 262-4343 | Access code: 377504
In a Gentle Way You Can Shake Your World (2015) – An 8-Session Group TRE series
One more session left: Sunday, April 12 9a-11a
Enjoy and Celebrate EARTH on this DAY (OCCA)
Sunday, April 19, 9a-Sunset
Leadership and Peace Building (Golden West Peace Studies Program)
Friday April 24 8:30a-5p
Food Sustainability: Good Intentions and Unintended Consequences (United Nations Association-OC) Saturday April 25, 10a-12p
TRE Global Certification Module I
Friday May 1 – Sunday May 3